Jan. 28, 2009: Congressman Tim Ryan Votes for American Recovery and Reinvestment Act
Washington, D.C. – Congressman Tim Ryan (OH-17) voted in support of the economic stimulus package today, an effort to create and save 3 to 4 million American jobs. The economic stimulus package was developed with the Obama Administration with the goal of creating jobs, making us more globally competitive and energy independent, transforming our economy for long-term growth and giving 95 percent of American workers an immediate tax cut.
“This stimulus package accomplishes more in one bill than the last administration did for America’s middle class in the last eight years,” said Congressman Tim Ryan. “The bill will invest in education, rebuild our nation’s roads, bridges and waterways, create private sector jobs, help workers who have been hurt by this economy and create a tax break for 95% of all Americans.”
This jobs and economic recovery plan contains targeted efforts in:
- Transforming Our Economy With Clean, Efficient, American Energy and Innovation and Technology that will create more than 1 million jobs;
- Lowering Health Care Costs by funding aggressive adoption of health information technology, which will create hundreds of thousands of jobs, and Broadening Coverage by helping those who cannot afford health care in these tough times.;
- Modernizing Roads, Bridges, Transit and Waterways to create 1.5 million American jobs;
- Education for the 21st Century, including an increased Pell Grant for 268,804 students in Ohio;
- Tax Cuts of up to $1,000 to Make Work Pay for 4,179,000 individuals in Ohio and more than $20 billion for American businesses, large and small, to spur job creation;
- Saving the Jobs of Teachers and Police Officers.
The Obama Administration has pledged that 75 percent of investments from this bill will get into the economy in the next 18 months.