July 25, 2007: Congressman Tim Ryan Announces Additional $10.5 Million in Federal Investments
Money procured in Defense Appropriations Bill brings total investments secured for district to over $22 million
Washington, D.C. – Today, Congressman Tim Ryan announced an additional $10,500,000 in federal investments for the district contained in the Defense Appropriations Bill which passed through the full Appropriations committee today. The additional monies bring the total amount of federal investment for 17th district projects contained in House Appropriations Bills to $22,768,000. The projects range from research into new reinforced materials for tires to a new Center of Excellence at Youngstown State University which will research and develop cutting edge advanced manufacturing and imaging techniques in the Mahoning Valley.
“These investments will help make our community a leader in advanced manufacturing,” Ryan said. “These initiatives will give us research and development money for cutting edge products our military needs and to spawn commercial applications which will create jobs.”
A list of the projects that have been added to the appropriations bill for consideration of the full House of Representatives can be found below. In addition to House floor consideration, the bill still requires passage in the Senate and requires the President’s signature before becoming law.
1) Center of Excellence in Industrial Metrology & 3D Imaging Research, Youngstown State- $2,000,000
2) Research and Development of Variable Transmittance Visors, Alpha Micron- $1,000,000
3) Research and Development for Alternative Energy Fuel Cell Generation, Kent State - $1,000,000
4) Advanced Reinforced Materials and New Materials Research for Aircraft Tires, Goodyear Tire- $1,000,000
5) Research and Development for Secure Mobile MANET System- $1,500,000
6) Development of Feeding Tube for Battlefield Trauma Patients, Syncro Medical Systems, Canfield/Youngstown- $1,000,000
7) Research and Development of Tactical Metal Fabrication Systems (TacFab), Ajax Tocco, Warren- $3,000,000